X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May 6, 2016 at 3:03pm via mobile

Post by GPKDNA79 on May 6, 2016 at 3:03pm

May 5, 2016 at 8:27pm GPKDNA79 said:
    Like all great things come to an end...I'm glad I got to appreciate it even if it was for a short ...I'm sorry to hear it . def will be missed .. Thanks guys

...a shirt meaning I have fanset 3-6 but only got them in last 2 months ...so it was super short time lived for me ...but I'll always have them and always enjoy them ....the true time and passion put into makeing these ...

Comment

May 6, 2016 at 3:26pm

Post by Steve on May 6, 2016 at 3:26pm

These were the only sets a lot of people looked forward to because so much thought was put into creating these sets and making them desirable, unlike the garbage Topps has been releasing. Thank you Jimbo, Russ, and everyone else involved for bringing some fun into the hobby for the past five years. I still will appreciate the UG fansets we have now for years to come.

Comment

May 6, 2016 at 5:36pm

Post by ukdave on May 6, 2016 at 5:36pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It was a good run and a huge thank you to all involved in these sets. They were ol and have pride of place. Glad I just received my FS6

Damn them for robbing the true fans of a bit of harmless pleasure in life

Comment

May 6, 2016 at 5:37pm via mobile LiveMike likes this

Post by amoebaswatter on May 6, 2016 at 5:37pm

Just when I was about to purchase fan sets 4 and 5...

I knew something was up when I couldn't access the official fan set VI forum. I'm glad that I was able to purchase fan sets 3 and 6. They were amazing! Thanks to Jimbo and everyone else involved in bringing these sets. Although short-lived to me, I'm glad I'm a part of this community.

One a side note, I do like the idea of artists in these forums coming up with unique characters and possibly making a set from us here at the UG, with a different name than GPK if that's what needs to be done to avoid legal issues. I would love to be one of these contributing artists if needed.

Comment

May 6, 2016 at 5:44pm via Tapatalk JasonDecay likes this

Post by Deleted on May 6, 2016 at 5:44pm

May 6, 2016 at 5:37pm amoebaswatter said:

I knew something was up when I couldn't access the official fan set VI forum. I'm glad that I was able to purchase fan sets 3 and 6. They were amazing! Thanks to Jimbo and everyone else involved in bringing these sets. Although short-lived to me, I'm glad I'm a part of this community.

One a side note, I do like the idea of artists in these forums coming up with unique characters and possibly making a set from us here at the UG, with a different name than GPK if that's what needs to be done to avoid legal issues. I would love to be one of these contributing artists if needed.

If anyone wants to steal my concepts I'm totally ok with it

Comment

May 6, 2016 at 5:46pm via mobile

Post by amoebaswatter on May 6, 2016 at 5:46pm

Bravo Topps for creating online exclusive cards and ripping off GPK fans!

I hope they feel good about themselves cracking down on such a small enterprise created by fans FOR THE FANS! 100 sets? I understand protection of intellectual property, but this sure seems extreme. Then again, this is Topps. If there is anything I've learned from being in these forums in my short time here, it is how Topps seems to do everything that contradicts what the fans want.

Maybe now they'll finally decide to do GPK Chrome 3. Then again, I won't hold my breath.

Comment

May 6, 2016 at 5:49pm

Post by thebiggerm on May 6, 2016 at 5:49pm

Terrible travesty.

Thanks for producing the sets, and thanks to Jimbo for tossing one in with the Garbage Gang box I bought, otherwise I might have never known about the UG.

Will be looking out for Underground Kids, or Underground Gang Kids, or Children of the Corn, or something similar.

Comment

May 6, 2016 at 6:29pm

Post by kurisenshi on May 6, 2016 at 6:29pm

It's a shame, but I'm thankful for being able to enjoy my 1 set (3), personally. Honestly, I'm not surprised. IP issues are muddy, and most big companies crack down hard on anything like this.

Thank you so much to everyone involved in making these sets. You guys made some great stuff, and your passion showed. I know everyone who has any of these sets will cherish them as part of their GPK collection.

Comment

May 6, 2016 at 9:00pm via Tapatalk

Post by pewipo123 on May 6, 2016 at 9:00pm

May 6, 2016 at 5:44pm @gensokyopailkid said:

May 6, 2016 at 5:37pm amoebaswatter said:

If anyone wants to steal my concepts I'm totally ok with it

No..i just like to have them part of my virtual collection on my phone

Comment

May 6, 2016 at 10:01pm Ryan, LuCypher, and 1 more like this

Post by fowlraoul on May 6, 2016 at 10:01pm

my favorite set was #3...wax packs and the hindi theme
                      also very cool to know you guys had dustin graham and ryan moffett on board for the sets as artists.

Comment

May 7, 2016 at 12:01pm

Post by Steve on May 7, 2016 at 12:01pm

May 6, 2016 at 5:49pm thebiggerm said:
                        Terrible travesty.

I'm leaning more towards it being a terrible "TRAVISty"

Comment

May 7, 2016 at 12:19pm via mobile

Post by LuCypher on May 7, 2016 at 12:19pm

RIP UG Fan Sets :holds lighter: These sets will forever remain legendary in our collections. Mad respect to Jimbo,
                          RusVan and everyone else that helped over the years with these brilliant sets. Topps should take notes....

Comment

May 7, 2016 at 7:00pm via Tapatalk

Post by Deleted on May 7, 2016 at 7:00pm

This situation makes me think of another example of companies limiting what fans can produce. Over in Japan, there's a game called Kantai Collection, which is a sort of virtual card game with girls representing World War II battleships. It's popular to the point where fans have created lots of fan releases such as comics and other unofficial merchendise. The people behind the game are apparently fine with this, but there is one medium where they will not allow people to create fan works: video games. I'm not totally sure if this is the case, but people who aren't fans of the series often say this is because the developer knows that if they allowed fan games, they would be better, or at least overshadow, the original Kantai Collection game. It seems like Topps is doing something similar here, and possibly for similar reasons. People are looking forward to these sets more than official product, and by allowing it to continue Topps is theoretically losing money and their brand is being diluted. They likely know it's a higher quality product than what they are putting out, but if they don't allow the higher quality option to exist, then consumers have no choice but to collect what they want consumers to have.

Comment

May 7, 2016 at 9:36pm Jimbo, kblaze, and 1 more like this

Post by Steve on May 7, 2016 at 9:36pm

May 7, 2016 at 7:00pm @gensokyopailkid said:
                              This situation makes me think of another example of companies limiting what fans can produce. Over in Japan, there's a game called Kantai Collection, which is a sort of virtual card game with girls representing World War II battleships. It's popular to the point where fans have created lots of fan releases such as comics and other unofficial merchendise. The people behind the game are apparently fine with this, but there is one medium where they will not allow people to create fan works: video games. I'm not totally sure if this is the case, but people who aren't fans of the series often say this is because the developer knows that if they allowed fan games, they would be better, or at least overshadow, the original Kantai Collection game. It seems like Topps is doing something similar here, and possibly for similar reasons. People are looking forward to these sets more than official product, and by allowing it to continue Topps is theoretically losing money and their brand is being diluted. They likely know it's a higher quality product than what they are putting out, but if they don't allow the higher quality option to exist, then consumers have no choice but to collect what they want consumers to have.

Topps is jealous. Really jealous. Plus, a low down dirty scum bucket tipped them off. That person is also jealous. And butt-hurt.

Comment

May 7, 2016 at 11:18pm via Tapatalk

Post by Deleted on May 7, 2016 at 11:18pm

May 7, 2016 at 9:36pm Steve said:

May 7, 2016 at 7:00pm @gensokyopailkid said:

Topps is jealous. Really jealous. Plus, a low down dirty scum bucket tipped them off. That person is also jealous. And butt-hurt.

Where is there proof someone tipped them off? Did you guys get a message saying "this guy told us you're making stuff and we don't like it"?

Comment

• Filter
                                • Time
                                • Show
                                • New Topics
                                Clear All
                                No content found
                                Show More

• Filter
                                • Time
                                • Show
                                • New Topics
                                Clear All
                                Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
                                Directory Topics Posts Last Post
                                Garbage Pail Kids Discussion
                                Topics: 56 Posts: 712
                                56 712
                                Sub-Forums:
                                Retail Card Releases
                                Talk about OS, ANS, BNS, Chrome, Yearly, etc. series here

Talk about Foreign, Online and Digital below
                                Topics: 79 Posts: 727
                                79 727
                                Sub-Forums:
                                Foreign Sets (18/201)
                                Official Merchandise - Toys, Items, etc.
                                Talk about officially licensed merchandise here. Cheap Toys, Minikins, Funko, Imperial, etc.
                                Topics: 75 Posts: 1,049
                                75 1,049
                                Sub-Forums:
                                Cheap Toys (17/695)
                                GPK Funko's (7/56)
                                GPK Minikins (5/59)
                                Unofficial GPK Products
                                Talk about artist theme sets, fan sets and various bootleg cards and items here
                                Topics: 29 Posts: 383
                                29 383
                                Sub-Forums:
                                GPKUG Fansets (17/215)
                                Ebay & Other Selling Venues
                                Talk about Ebay auctions or any other sites that have GPK for sale here
                                Topics: 19 Posts: 158
                                19 158
                                HEY TOPPS!!!
                                Talk to or about Topps here
                                Topics: 11 Posts: 104
                                11 104
                                General GPK Discussion
                                Talk about all things GPK here that don't fit into the categories above. News, 80's stories, movie/cartoon, comics, etc.
                                Topics: 52 Posts: 891
                                52 891
                                Sub-Forums:
                                Garbage Pail Kids Art
                                Original Art
                                Talk about official card final art, color roughs and pencil art here
                                Topics: 42 Posts: 169
                                42 169
                                admin
                                by admin
                                Sub-Forums:
                                Sketch Cards
                                Talk about sketch cards here related to any release
                                Topics: 8 Posts: 41
                                8 41
                                Artists & Card Shows
                                Exclusive info on the artists that create GPK and the card shows they attend
                                Topics: 3 Posts: 1,161
                                3 1,161
                                Trade Depot
                                GPK Deal or No Deal
                                Can you beat the banker?
                                Topics: 2 Posts: 2
                                2 2
                                Feedback Forum
                                Post feedback about member transactions here
                                Topics: 13 Posts: 80
                                13 80
                                WTT - Trade Lists
                                Post your list of needs here. Follow the posting instructions to get the best results
                                Topics: 13 Posts: 19
                                13 19
                                WTS & WTB Marketplace
                                Post what you are selling or what you want to buy here
                                Topics: 79 Posts: 172
                                79 172
                                Members Only
                                Anything & Everything
                                Everything Else
                                Talk about anything here. Overall general discussion
                                Topics: 27 Posts: 330
                                27 330
                                Movies, Music, TV, Video Games, etc.
                                Talk about all other media here
                                Topics: 32 Posts: 487
                                32 487
                                Sub-Forums:
                                Other Collectibles & Card Sets
                                Talk about any other collectible item that isn't GPK related here
                                Topics: 4 Posts: 39
                                4 39
                                Board News and Rules
                                News and rules about GPKUG will be posted here
                                Topics: 35 Posts: 1,262
                                35 1,262
                                Sub-Forums:
                                GPKUG CON's (4/919)
                                Post Graveyard (13/213)

Garbage Pail Kids Underground Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 660   Posts: 8,623   Members: 543   Active Members: 6
                                Welcome to our newest member, Kinniku Bomb.
                                Working...
                                X